ACM SIGARCH Alan D. Berenbaum Distinguished Service AwardThis annual award is presented to an individual who has contributed important service to the computer architecture community.
2019 Alan D. Berenbaum Distinguished Service Award Call for Nominations
The award is presented annually at the International Symposium on Computer Architecture Awards Banquet. This year’s recipient will be invited to accept the award at ISCA 2019. Recipients receive a memento engraved with their name along with a $1000 honorarium. The award recipient also receives up to $2000 towards support for travel costs, including airfare, hotel, and conference registration for ISCA. The recipient is listed with a citation for their award on the SIGARCH Alan D. Berenbaum Distinguished Service Award webpage.
Nominations should consist of:
- Name, address, phone number and email of person making the nomination.
- Name, affiliation, address, email, and telephone number of candidate for whom the award is recommended.
- A statement (between 200 and 500 words long) explaining why the nominee deserves the award in question. Note that the award is given for service that goes above and beyond traditional service.
- 4-7 letters of support. Include the name, affiliation, email address, and telephone number of the letter writer(s). Supporters of multiple candidates are strongly encouraged to compare the candidates in their letters.
- State any conflicts of interest (COI) between the nominee and any committee members. Refer to the ACM COI guidelines (item 7) to determine what constitutes a COI. Please state explicitly if there are no conflicts.
Please send all your nomination materials as one pdf file no later than April 1, 2019 to the Chair of the Nominating Committee (Matthew Farrens firstname.lastname@example.org).
The selection committee consists of 3 or more members and is appointed by the SIGARCH chair. The committee typically includes recent recipients of the award and current SIGARCH executive committee members. The committee solicits nominations from the computer architecture community in a variety of ways including announcements in SIGARCH’s newsletter and postings on appropriate newsgroups and websites. The committee considers all nominations in the context of the nominees’ specific and general service contributions to the computer architecture community.
Matt Farrens (Chair)
2018 – Koen De Bosschere
For structuring and connecting the research community in computer architecture and compilation in Europe through the HiPEAC network.
2016 – Michael Flynn
For the founding of ACM SIGARCH and IEEE TCCA.
2014 – Doug DeGroot
For dedicated service to SIGARCH spanning four decades.
2013 – Norman P. Jouppi
For two decades of dedicated service to SIGARCH and ACM.
2011 – David A. Patterson
For exemplary service to the education, training, and inspiration of junior computer architects, and for service to the ACM, including a term as its President.
2010 – Janie Irwin
For consistent and outstanding service to the field of computer architecture at the research community, professional society, and national levels.
2009 – Mark D. Hill
For leadership in improving the architecture community’s review process, organizing computer architecture research information on-line, and providing outstanding service on the SIGARCH Executive Committee.
2008 – Alan Berenbaum
For many years of outstanding leadership on the SIGARCH Executive Committee and as SIGARCH Chair.